Objectives and methodology
The performance evaluation system designed and implemented by MeS Lab consists of 130 indicators and it is classified into six assessment dimensions represented by different letters:
• Population health levels (A)
• Capacity to pursue regional strategies (B)
• Quality, appropriateness and clinical performance (C)
• Patients satisfaction with healthcare services (D)
• Healthcare managers and employees satisfaction (E)
• Efficiency and financial performance (F)
In order to provide an adequate representation of the results reported by Health Authorities, a “target” diagram was used, divided into five assessment bands:
- green band, meaning excellent performance. The score obtained for this band ranges from 4 to 5.
- light green band, meaning good performance. The score ranges from 3 to 4.
- yellow band, meaning average performance. The score ranges from 2 to 3.
- orange band, meaning poor performance. The score ranges from 1 to 2.
- red band, meaning very poor performance. The score ranges from 0 to 1.
The more a Local Health Authority is able to reach objectives and obtain results in the various performance areas, the closer to the centre its performance indicators are. In cases of excellent performance results are positioned in the green zone; less positive outcomes are in the outer strips, with the colours shading to red at the circumference.